Pages

June 3, 2010

Another Quilt Top Finish

It's called Diamonds at Large, but I like to call it....."How to Waste a Moda Layer Cake".  Ok, I'll give myself a break.  We all have to start somewhere, right?  I'm sure even the most talented quilters have "early disasters" tucked away in their closets. The Diamonds at Large design is from the book Layer Cakes, Jelly Rolls and Charm Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott.


The Layer Cake I used is Cotton Blossoms.  I absolutely adore the majority of the fabrics in this line, but my mistakes with this project were many:
1.  Wrong color scheme....The instructions said to use darks and lights.  This layer cake had more darks than lights.
2.  Seams were sewn wonky.  I really need to work on my accuracy.  LQS owner showed me a trick.  Put two squares (or rectangles) right sides together.  On the wrong side of your square, draw a pencil line from corner to corner.  Sew your scant 1/4" seam on each side of the pencil line.  Once you have sewn a seam on each side of the pencil line, cut along the pencil line. Another LQS owner said to put painters tape on my machine so I will have a line to follow (even though I use a piecing foot with a guide?)
3.  Is squaring up your squares really that important?  Sheesh!
4.  I should have planned which pieces would create the diamonds instead of leaving it up to randomness.

Oh well, I am not giving up.  I still have to quilt my two quilt tops which I will be doing myself with Lucy.  If I think they are a mess now, they'll probably be a hot mess by the time I finish machine quilting them.  Wish me luck!

I am home today taking care of my little grandson who is not feeling well.  This evening Heather and I are going to LQS to start cutting our fabric for our next project, Underground Railroad Sampler.  It's going to be a three day class.  I really should have passed on this but it is a beautiful project and I love the fabric being used....Moda Butterfly Garden.  Because Heather and I are new to quilting, our LQS owner offered to help us cut our fabric.  She should have offered to help me stitch it so I don't screw it up! LOL  Just kidding.  While we are at the LQS tonight we are going to test drive a potential investment.  That's all I am going to say about that for now! 

3 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

It's gorgeous! Don't be so hard on yourself. You should see my first quilt top (which is still waiting to be quilted by the way) - it is UGLY! You took on a lot for your first quilt - triangles and points!

I love the little tease about a potential investment! Can't wait for the reveal.

Siobhán said...

I agree with Jackie--don't be so hard on yourself! I think BOTH of your quilt tops are beautiful. I love the Cotton Blossoms line and was thinking about buying some (on Ebay) and using it with Simple Abundance & the upcoming Bliss for a Dresden quilt. Oh, and as for quilt uglies, believe me, I have more than my share of them! I have quilts that I did for the visually impaired (super huge blocks), and I won't tell you how many I made because I jumped in both feet first without digesting things I needed to know. Your quilts are BEAUTIFUL.

For accurate piecing, I used (still am w/o a machine since we moved due to different voltage in Europe vs US) a walking foot PLUS I did the painter's tape thing. Worked like a charm. Good luck-can't wait to hear about your class.

Sharlotte said...

Hi Carol, I wanted to post on this yesterday but blogger was running slow and it kept timing out . Anyway, I love the look of the new quilt top.I bet the Underground Railroad Sampler quilt is really going to be great. It will be so much fun to see it come together. Have a great weekend!